Specializing your practice to focus on one or two diagnosis classifications can help to set you apart from your peers. It also allows you to narrow down the field of CEU training offerings and stay up to date on the latest research and techniques for treatment of these diagnoses. Many clients will choose treatment for a particular challenge from a specialist as opposed to a general practitioner. Consider these points as you think about specializing your practice
- What populations do you enjoy working with?
- Which populations are you most effective with?
- Do you have a passion for treating one classification of clients?
- Where will you refer clients that are outside of your scope of practice (remember to offer clients with several referral sources)
- Is there a missing niche in the market that needs to be filled with specialized services?